Tuesday, June 23, 2015

My eyes only

(Sitting down to write this I realized a) the last time I sat to write was almost 6 months ago and b) it's about a very similar topic.)

Does the OCEAN exist?

What if you told me about this large body of water, so large that one could not see the end of it, and you told me it was the ocean? What if you said it had waves so powerful they could sweep a man off his feet? What if you told me this unfathomable body of water was beautiful, deadly, and unending?

And what if I said - nope. You're wrong.

I've never seen the ocean, therefore it doesn't exist.
I've never experienced waves like that, therefore they don't exist.
I've seen hints of it, rivers and lakes and creeks, therefore you are just exaggerating to make a point.
That picture, that video, comes from a media source which is just blowing it out of proportion to sound more extreme than it really is - there's another side to the story that would prove you wrong.
No one around me in my town, street, or neighborhood has seen the ocean, therefore you and the people who say it does exist, are all wrong.



You would call me a ridiculous, ignorant, and arrogant FOOL.
Since when did ultimate truth depend only on my eyes, my ears, and my personal experience?

Yet this is exactly what we do with racism/racial discrimination/racial injustice. 

I've never seen it, therefore it doesn't exist.
I've never experienced it, therefore it doesn't exist.
I've seen hints, maybe, but you are just exaggerating.
That picture, that video, is just blown out of proportion to sound more extreme; there's another story that would prove you wrong.
No one around me has seen it, so you and all of the people who say it does, are all wrong.

When thousands and thousands are protesting in the streets, can I possibly say racism/racial discrimination/racial injustice DOESN'T exist???

***

I think, in wake of what's been happening in our world lately, it's time to stop denying the existence of something so big, unfathomable, and obvious. To do so is as ignorant as denying the ocean. It's time for people with no personal experience (myself included) to admit that we don't know everything. It's time for people who have never looked into the abyss to speak only from a position of validation (yes, I hear you), empathy (I feel your hurt and frustration), and humility (I don't know, please tell me).

No comments:

Blog Archive