Monday, July 14, 2008

anonymous discussion #4

modesty.

what is it?

what does it look like for Christian women?

can you wear shorts, if so what length? what about spaghetti straps, sleeveless, tube tops, halters... and bathing suits? no matter what you do with those you are still half naked... where do you draw the line?

how do you set limits on modesty without being legalistic? do the limits differ for every person? what do you do if you think your friend is dressing immodestly?

(PS. guys, i would really love it if you would be honest and tell me what is a stumbling block for you or not... remember, it's anonymous!)

6 comments:

it is not about me said...

i think "modesty" differs from person to person as our bodies are all shaped a little differently, and we must all be mindful of that, male and female alike.

as for me, i increasingly find modesty more and more attractive as time goes by. where once the sight of immense cleavage would have been a stumbling block, i'm more likely to be turned off now (but perhaps that's because it IS a stumbling block, and i am being shaped day-by-day...).

i don't think the question is "what would Jesus wear?" so much as "is my appearance glorifying God or myself?" maybe we should all kick it John the Baptist style and wear just sackcloth. that'd be pretty cool, right?

Jimmy Thoma said...

i agree a lot with THE Jordan. It depends on who you are, how you are formed, and why you dress the way you do. "Am I looking for the attention or am I trying to guard the eyes of those who might be looking?" Someone can stumble without there being an issue with modesty, too. So in most ways it is between you and God. Modesty is very attractive, and not dressing in such a way is very unattractive, to me as well.

it is not about me said...

i like that neither me nor jimmy chose to be "anonymous" despite the name of the entry. ha.

Michelle said...

you rebels.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting others to be involved in our discussion! I'm interested to see what more people have to say.

Rebecca said...

hey michelle, I was just missing you. I hope all is well in Mexico. God's blessings on you.

-becca shows

Blog Archive