Wednesday, June 11, 2008

anonymous discussion #1

there have been some things on my mind lately that i would like an anonymous discussion on. please feel free to comment and tell me what you think!

there's a woman here, an LAM missionary, who is fighting against the legalization of abortion here in mexico city. abortion is an issue that i've never had an opinion on (one of the few hehe) because i can see both sides (listed below) and i would like to know what you think!

pro choice:
i understand that a woman has a right to her body and should be able to choose if she wants children or not. sometimes rape or harm to the mother can be taken into consideration. is abortion something that we as christians should take as our own personal battle? is that not just putting our "moral agenda" and forcing it upon everyone else? what about the people that can't afford to feed the children they already have, do they have a choice?

pro life:
as christians and even just as concerned citizens we should protect life and humans rights, speaking for those who have no voice. all life is sacred and God has a perfect plan for each baby. abortion is inhumane and is murder, and we should not legalize any form of murder. there are plenty of couples that want to adopt so instead of aborting, they should give it up for adoption.

what do YOU think??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I am very pro-life. I think a woman who is raped should still have her kid and that abortion shouldn't used as secondary birth control.
BUT
You can't legislate that. No one will tell a raped woman she should have the child, and if you legislate that only women who are rapped can have an abortion then every man who has a one-night-stand ends up in jail (just as much an injustice).
I am more a fan of limiting abortions. Have waiting periods, required parental consent, required counseling. Small things that would save tons of lives without taking away a woman's right to choose things.

Anonymous said...

I can't help but think that every situation is a case-by-case. I can sit here all day and say I think women have the right to chose and there's shouldn't be a law saying what a woman can or can't do with her own body, but being put in that situation could very well change my view.

I am like you, Michelle, in that I stay away from this topic, mostly because I don't have a strong point-of-view about it. I do know a women whom I love and adore more than anything who went through this exact situation. Her testimony is incredible and the Lord has used her and her story in so many amazing ways that bring tears to my eyes...but the pain and suffering and doubt she went through is the flip side of her decision and it breaks my heart to even think about it.

Right now I feel I can say that if a situation arose where I had to chose I would keep the baby knowing that God has an amazing plan for it's life as well as mine. But then again who's to say that if I were put in that situation my opinion wouldn't change?

But...I do believe that there should NOT be a law banning women from this right.

The Christian view of, "well if it's a rape then a woman could decide she wouldn't want that reminder every day for the rest of her life." But at the same time what an amazing testimony and what great things God could do with that life.

I do agree with the first comment where women shouldn't use abortion as a birth control.

That is what I think...my two cents...I don't agree with abortion and don't think I'd ever use that option, but I definitely don't think there should be a law banning it.

Those Tonnes said...

I didn't know that you were still using this? That makes me happy. I will put it back on my friends page.

Anonymous said...

personally, i have a horrible story to tell you someday. for people who think abortion is about women's rights, it's not. abortion providers are out for money and that is all. they don't care about the harm they do to a woman's body and soul. More importantly though, God condemns abortion. In the OT, people sacrificed babies to the fires of the gods (baal, i think). God condemned it (Lev 18:21; 2 Chron 28:3). Even more importantly though, Jesus came to save sinners, not change Roman law. The people wanted Him to create a new government; His goal was to win souls. I think fighting laws has a tendency to take the glory away from God and gives the glory to our own agenda; unless of course, God is clearly opening the doors. Fighting laws might also keep people at bay and keep us from being intimately involved in the lives of others. It keeps us focused on our own anger at the world's ways, and allows people to view us as hostile and judgemental. Be careful.. undergird every move with prayer and stay sensitive to God's leading.

Anonymous said...

I think it is also a case-by-case situation and up for the families and to-be mothers to decide what to do with their lives. I can also see both sides of the argument, but I lean more towards pro-choice on this. Then again, I am also very liberal and open-minded.

Blog Archive